For our team’s final project in the System Analyst and Design class, we needed to create a small portable communication program where programmers can share code, chat, and send files to each other. Also, we were required to store all messages and files in a private database. The professor provided us with a couple of java classes to get us started. Honestly, in the beginning I had no idea how to do this, but with patience and perseverance, I did it. Here is a list of what I learned:
- Server Sockets and Client sockets
- Text I/O and Binary I/O – InputStream, OutputStream, FileInputStream, DataInputStream…
- GUI components (JFileChooser, JTextAreaPanel, JPasswordField, JDialog …)
- Better understanding of Exception Handling
- JDBC in MySQL (PrepareStatement, ResultSet, Connection …)
- Enhanced For Loop
- MySQL Workbench
- The power of loops and arrays
- And much more..
Here is the link to download the source code:
If you want a username and password to access the online database, please contact me! Here is a list of the program’s features:
- Send messages and receive messages
- Store all messages in the database with a time stamp and the name of the sender
- Send files to the database and store them with a time stamp
- Retrieve files from the database
- Get a list of the stored files
- Prompts username and password to access the database.
I wished I could had more time to add more features to the program and increase user usability!!!